Tuesday, January 31, 2012

JMeter quick start guide (part 4)

--------------------------
4. Understanding results
--------------------------

  1. As a history of each run, I recorded information about each run in a file called "description of run.txt" in which I'd describe things like how long the app server had been up (how warm it was), whether anyone else was using it, application parameters such as which db servers and in what configuration, how many app servers, and any other interesting things I saw during the run (cpu/mem usage spikes, etc.)
  2. I would take the output in plain form (see out_graph_results.csv) and convert it to some usable data:
    1. adjust the Timestamp column and create a Time column using the formula =((B2-18000000) / 86400000) + 25569 where B2 is the Timestamp cell
      1. don't really remember where I got this, conversion to epoch time to normal time or something like that
  3. Then I would get the usable data I wanted out of it:
    1. put an autofilter on each column
    2. for "label" click the down arrow on the autofilter and choose Text Filter -> Contains for each of the following types of request labels:
      1. /report.do, dwr/call, .css, flow/, download
      2. then when the results were filtered, I would copy everything in the Latency column, thereby getting all the response times for each request type
      3. I think I also filtered the "responseMessage" column to see if there were any errors skewing the response time results
      4. Now that I had the response times for each type, I would take an average of each response time type
  4. Finally, take the data from several runs and combine them
    1. Do the above, get averages of several runs, varying 1 condition
      1. type of request (reporting, dwr, downloading)
      2. number of users
    2. graph the run averages to see what type of curve we get
      1. for example, varying the number of users, do runs for 10, 20, 40, 80, 160, 320
      2. space the points on a logarithmic scale and hope that the curve is linear

No comments:

Post a Comment